Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Ok, so I'm going to be honest here. I forgot the assignment was due this monday until I was reminded on Facebook late Sunday night. I worked from 3:00 to 11:00 every day this weekend, so I didn't have much time to do this. I did have time today, but it wasn't until around 5:00 that I could get around to doing it, which is why the pictures are getting gradually darker.





Anyway, for my New Years Walk, I went to the Soos Creek Trail. I went there not only because I live less than 30 seconds away, but also because, growing up, my family, friends, and I spent most of our free time there. Whether it was playing in the park, taking our dog for a walk, or riding our bikes on the trail, this is a place we could go and just have fun and forget about everything for a while.












This first picture is of the playground. It has gone through some cosmetic changes over the years. More specifically, it was recently torn down and replaced with a new "better" playground. Personally, I liked the old one better. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor of it, or the fact that I can't fit on the "horsey spring rider" anymore, but all I know is that it wasn't as fun today as it was before. It didn't look like the kids waiting for me to get off the slide were having much fun either.




This next picture is of the park itself. I remember the days when we would attend barbecues held in that little undercover area. there was a grill already set up there ready for public use, and there were almost always parties there. Now, it's deserted, and even closed off with tape. It just sits there, unused and uninviting, seeming like more like an eyesore than a place of fun.










This next picture is of the straight path that is the beginning of the 9 mile trail. To me, it signifies that this journey called life has only just begun, and we still have a very long way to go. It may seem endless at times, but it is important to just push on and enjoy what you have while it's there, because sooner or later, you will be at the parking lot at the end of the trail with nowhere to go but Home.







This next picture is about 30 feet into the trail. The man running down the trail signifies that though this journey may sometimes be tough, we are never alone.









These 2 pictures are of a very small path outside of the trail that I would frequently take during my many walks and bike rides, because sometimes it is nice to just stop and smell the flowers every once in a while. Unfortunately, just like the old fun playground, it seems the flowers are gone too.











This next picture is of a crooked tree that caught my eye as I was walking. To me, the fact that this tree caught my attention says something about life. In life, it is not the regular people that are noticed. People are noticed, and often praised for being different. So what if you're not like all the other trees? You are special, and are appreciated because of how different you are.










This next picture is of a bridge on the trail. I am not quite sure if this qualifies as a bridge since the water underneath is maybe an inch deep, but I remember always arriving at this bridge and making my way underneath it and just standing in the water and throwing little pebbles in it. Of course, i cannot do that anymore because of how unsanitary the water is now, but back then it was ok. I miss those days.








This picture is from the top of the bridge. It is the water and the fields below.












This next picture is of a box of raisins I found on my way back to the park. "Why would he take a picture of a box of raisins?" you may ask.

I have my raisins....














This is a picture I took at the end of my walk back at the entrance of the trail. It is also the moment I figured out the camera on my phone has a flash.













I guess in the end, for me this walk wasn't necessarily the "New Years Resolution Walk Thing" that was intended. It was more of a chance to look back on my life, and all the great memories I have at this place, and to realize that though everything around me will change, I must stay true to myself, and never change for anything. It's fun to be a crooked tree, and those little kids still have the rest of their lives to have a turn on the slide. In the meantime, there's a horsey ride with my name on it.



8 comments:

  1. Nathan! I loved reading this! I loved seeing your jocular side. You reflecting on the past and how things used to be made me so sad. Honestly though, what has our society come to? haha Next, I loved the analogy you made about the walk of life. We may be graduating high school, but this is still only the beginning for us, not the end or even half way through it!! I also really liked how you showed that we are never alone, whether that be with friends, family, strangers or even God supporting us. I loved this Nathan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the nostalgia you were feeling on your walk. I don't know about you, but I get discouraged sometimes, thinking about the old barbecues and parties and all the things that don't just happen anymore by themselves. When you're a kid, your parents plan and organize every aspect of your life, but now that we're older, we're held responsible to make our own culture, schedule our own barbecues, organize our own parties. I always thought there was something beautiful about seemingly self-initiated fun. Now it just seems like work. Am I crazy?/being too pessimistic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. You hit the nail right on the head. I miss the good ol' days too.

      Delete
    2. It seems like, in a lot of ways, you've outgrown this place. Which warrants nostalgia, and grief-- but it's also okay, you know? Like hermit crabs have to find new, bigger shells... This is almost not home anymore for you, and in some ways, that's okay. But still hard. Bittersweet is the word, I guess.

      Your puns made me laugh.
      13.5/15

      Delete
  3. Oh Nathan the puns never end. I enjoyed this blog post a lot for many different reasons. One What you did was perfect. In order to improve one cannot constantly stress about the future, but instead look at the past. The ability to see past mistakes and learn from them is something the rest of humanity could use right now. Second, looking at the past is usually refreshing. I know that when I look back, even at the bad things, I end up feeling refreshed and relaxed. This was probably an extremely relaxing walk for you.

    ReplyDelete